Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Boston Celtics

I want KG. Not because I necessarily want him over Al Jefferson for more than the next couple years, but because I want him over Al Jefferson for the next couple years. I know KG is older and has a ridiculously cap-killing contract and an opt-out, but the dude can ball, will be as good as Big Al scoring for a few years (plus better passing), and the guy can D up. I personally thought the original trade that KG nixed (Ratliff's expiring contract, Jefferson, Gerald Green, the #5 overall pick, and Wally for KG and some other bum) was a TERRIBLE trade. Pierce and KG alone can't get the Celtics a title.

BUT, Pierce, Ray Allen, and KG, along with a collection of young talents and a couple decent veterans we could sign with the mid-level exception could get the job done. That team would give us (I'm sorry, I'm from Massachusetts, I say we and wicked, as well as dece and other sweet abbreves) a three year championship window. I think this makes more sense than the current roster/plan, which has us set up to peak at perhaps 48-50 games the year after next, and probably will get us 45 or so wins until Ray Allen is gone 3 years from now, at which point we still will have no cap room to add a younger star.

I think the purpose of each GM is to win a championship, not have a decent team for a while. We already suffered through the losing, now I expect the team to go all out. I personally would not have made the Ray Allen deal if there were no second big trade coming to finish the job. So, I say now let's convince KG that Boston is his best chance for a title and that he needs to come here. Without some interior defense helping patch up the leaks that Pierce and Allen will let spring, the C's won't be doing much in the play-offs. If that's the case, then I don't see any reason to take away all potential cap room for an entertaining but non-championship caliber team. So, Danny (Ainge, Celtics GM, another annoying Massachusetts thing is we address people with power whom we don't know like they're our close friends), get on the phone (you probably already have tried this, but if that's the case then you should have done this before the Allen trade) and convince KG that this is his best option, and let Kevin McHale know that Ratliff's contract, Big Al, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, and Minny's 2009 pick that we own is a haul, and he won't get anything near that package from anyone else in the league, so he better take it.

No comments: